Sunday, February 06, 2005

surprising aspiration


We took the kids to the zoo today. Thought it would be empty (it's the Superbowl, doncha know), but it was (pun intended) a zoo.

On the way home, we drove by a huge old school building, prompting my 5 year-old dd to announce that she might want to be a school janitor when she grows up. That is, if her dreaming of being Beyonce doesn't work out. Not a Beyonce-like singer, btw--she actually thinks she will become Beyonce. But that's a topic for another post.

I suspect that my dd knows more janitors than the average 5 year-old, due to my having worked for not one but two unions that represent them. But I was still a little surprised that this was her backup plan for adult employment. I wasn't even aware that she knew that schools had janitors, so I'm pretty happy that she gets that someone has to clean up the mess that she and her friends make every day. (As opposed to at home, where no one ever cleans up any of the mess. Hell, she's lucky to have clean clothes to go to school in.)

We had a conversation about blue-collar vs. white-collar vs. pink-collar work the other day. I guess that really motivated her more than I thought it did.


• Posted By landismom @ 2/06/2005 04:50:00 PM
Comments: Post a Comment
  1. ABOUT ME
  2. My daughter is the Bumblebee. My son is the Sweet Potato. You'll have to ask their father.


  3. View My Complete Profile.
  4. Want a gmail account? Email me.


  5. I ALSO BLOG AT


  6. Bored Housewives Network


  1. IF NOT HOME, FIND ME HERE




  2. Blogroll Me!


  1. PREVIOUSLY BUZZED


  2. Whither the US labor movement?
  3. Not quite Das Boot
  4. working at home


  1. MASHED AND SWEETENED


  1. OTHER THINGS

  2. Subscribe with Bloglines


  3. Listed on BlogShares



    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
  1. CREDITS/RESOURCES


  2. Design By:
  3. Ciao! My Bella!
  4. Comments By:
  5. Haloscan
  6. Platform By:
  7. Blogger
  8. Powered By:
  9. landismom
  10. Image From:
  11. Getty Images
  12. Protected By:
  13. Creative Commons