Friday, April 15, 2005

reading recommendation


As a follow up to my post on the suburbs and race, allow me to recommend a book that I just finished reading: Blood Done Sign My Name by Timothy Tyson. It deals with the racially-motivated murder of Henry Marrow in Oxford, North Carolina in May 1970. The author is the son of a local (white) minister, and was himself a ten-year-old witness to events leading up to and following the murder (but not the murder itself).

For me, one of the most compelling things about the book was that he never shied away from the issue of white liberals (including those he is related to), and their failure to overcome their own racism in dealing with African Americans in the book. Check it out!


• Posted By landismom @ 4/15/2005 12:26:00 PM
Comments: Post a Comment
  1. ABOUT ME
  2. My daughter is the Bumblebee. My son is the Sweet Potato. You'll have to ask their father.


  3. View My Complete Profile.
  4. Want a gmail account? Email me.


  5. I ALSO BLOG AT


  6. Bored Housewives Network


  1. IF NOT HOME, FIND ME HERE




  2. Blogroll Me!


  1. PREVIOUSLY BUZZED


  2. relief
  3. all (well some) of your questions answered
  4. congratulations
  5. 3 a.m. parenting
  6. future hypocrisies
  7. princess neck snap
  8. grandma visits red riding boots*
  9. Bee boots
  10. spring is finally here
  11. time to give them up?


  1. MASHED AND SWEETENED


  1. OTHER THINGS

  2. Subscribe with Bloglines


  3. Listed on BlogShares



    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
  1. CREDITS/RESOURCES


  2. Design By:
  3. Ciao! My Bella!
  4. Comments By:
  5. Haloscan
  6. Platform By:
  7. Blogger
  8. Powered By:
  9. landismom
  10. Image From:
  11. Getty Images
  12. Protected By:
  13. Creative Commons