Monday, May 09, 2005

Mother's Day


Okay, I know I'm a day behind everyone else in the blogosphere. Sue me.

I started to write a post about how I had a somewhat disappointing Mother's Day, and then I thought, "but why do I care?" Have I been so programmed by Hallmark that I expect flowers and sweetness all day long? Isn't enough that I got woken up by the Bee at 6:40 a.m., because she was so excited to give me my present that she couldn't wait another minute?

And then I had this interesting conversation with her, as we were driving the Sweet Potato to daycare, and I was wearing said present, a plastic pin covered with sequins in the shape of a butterfly:

BB: "I'm glad you like my present."

LM: "Of course I do, sweetie, I always like what you make for me."

BB: "But I didn't really make it. We didn't get to take home the ones that we made-just ones that were the same shape."

LM: "What do you mean? you mean someone else made this pin?"

BB: "Yeah, I made a butterfly, but that's not the one that I made. Mrs. X said we just had to take the same shape, but not to worry about whether it was the one we made or not."

LM: "Okay" (voice in my head: "you mean I'm wearing this pin for SOMEONE ELSE'S kid? I hate Mrs. X!")

Sigh. At least I know that the present the Sweet Potato gave me was his actual handprint.


• Posted By landismom @ 5/09/2005 04:25:00 PM
Comments: Post a Comment
  1. ABOUT ME
  2. My daughter is the Bumblebee. My son is the Sweet Potato. You'll have to ask their father.


  3. View My Complete Profile.
  4. Want a gmail account? Email me.


  5. I ALSO BLOG AT


  6. Bored Housewives Network


  1. IF NOT HOME, FIND ME HERE




  2. Blogroll Me!


  1. PREVIOUSLY BUZZED


  2. Today, our farmers' market re-opened, and we welco...
  3. cover the uninsured (and make sure the insured sta...
  4. I knew this would happen if we got a digital camera
  5. kids and books
  6. What's Wrong with White People?
  7. the so(u)le hip-hop queen
  8. Who's your daddy?
  9. what dreams may come
  10. another telecommuting advantage
  11. happy equal pay day!


  1. MASHED AND SWEETENED


  1. OTHER THINGS

  2. Subscribe with Bloglines


  3. Listed on BlogShares



    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
  1. CREDITS/RESOURCES


  2. Design By:
  3. Ciao! My Bella!
  4. Comments By:
  5. Haloscan
  6. Platform By:
  7. Blogger
  8. Powered By:
  9. landismom
  10. Image From:
  11. Getty Images
  12. Protected By:
  13. Creative Commons