Saturday, September 03, 2005

shaking with rage, and doing something about it


Okay, so I've been sitting in front of my computer and tv for the last six days, feeling helpless and frustrated. I've gotten to the point where I've decided that not to act is putting me in a worse situation than to act. So I'm getting up from my computer, and I'm going door-to-door to my neighbors, to gather donations for the victims of Katrina. And then I'm gonna send them off to a software company named CoffeeCup, who has volunteered to deliver contributions of material things to the evacuees that are in South Texas.

I'm feeling frustrated, because when 9/11 happened, we knew where to send things, and what to send, almost immediately. There were flyers in all our stores, telling us who was taking donations of batteries, flashlights, socks. That hasn't happened this time, though clearly the devastation is so much greater. I'm not really sure why that is, and I'm not that interested in playing the blame game right now (but I will be later, I bet).

I really just want to help, and I can't help right now, other than to try to gather up some toys & books for kids who have lost theirs. My heart is breaking every time I watch another mother carrying another infant that is homeless, it breaks a little more.

UPDATE: So far, my neigbors have blown me away with their generosity. We sent four huge boxes of clothing (mostly kids'), toys & books to CoffeeCup on Tuesday, and I've got another eight boxes worth of stuff to ship out tomorrow. On Monday afternoon, I was sitting on the porch addressing & taping up the boxes, and one of my neighbors, a guy who works as a landscaper, walked up with a huge box of wipes. I had someone drop off a pack and play, too, although I haven't figured out how I'm going to ship that one yet.


• Posted By landismom @ 9/03/2005 12:43:00 PM
  1. ABOUT ME
  2. My daughter is the Bumblebee. My son is the Sweet Potato. You'll have to ask their father.


  3. View My Complete Profile.
  4. Want a gmail account? Email me.


  5. I ALSO BLOG AT


  6. Bored Housewives Network


  1. IF NOT HOME, FIND ME HERE




  2. Blogroll Me!


  1. PREVIOUSLY BUZZED


  2. stepping out of the mommy blog...
  3. the persistence of memory through things
  4. PBB (no, not peanut butter & banana)
  5. Here's a link to my final post on the San Diego Re...
  6. reward and punishment
  7. dog days
  8. Happy Birthday, Sweet Potato!
  9. birthday party planning
  10. blog post of the week
  11. The Potato is home sick today. He woke up with a f...


  1. MASHED AND SWEETENED


  1. OTHER THINGS

  2. Subscribe with Bloglines


  3. Listed on BlogShares



    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
  1. CREDITS/RESOURCES


  2. Design By:
  3. Ciao! My Bella!
  4. Comments By:
  5. Haloscan
  6. Platform By:
  7. Blogger
  8. Powered By:
  9. landismom
  10. Image From:
  11. Getty Images
  12. Protected By:
  13. Creative Commons