Friday, November 11, 2005

fall holiday


The Bee had the day off from school today, so I kept the Potato home from daycare too, and made a mommy-kid day of it. The Bee had a playdate this afternoon, but the morning was mostly relaxing at home, marred only by the ginormous temper tantrum that the Potato threw in the coffee shop, forcing me to carry him home the four blocks. There's nothing quite like hauling a screaming, back-arching two-year-old to bring a certain luster to your day.

After that ended, we all sat on the porch for a while, me with my coffee, the two of them with their pumpkins.

Yes, my kids spent an hour this morning playing with the leftover Halloween pumpkins (whole, not carved). First, they carried them down the front steps and lined them up on our walk. Then, they carried them down to the sidewalk to 'wait for the bus.' Then, the bus came and took the pumpkins to the airport, where they flew to Florida to visit my mom. And so on.

It was definitely one of those moments where I thought, "and why do we buy toys?" But at the same time, I was amazed by their (particularly the Bee's) imagination. It would simply never occur to me to send pumpkins on vacation, and it was truly wonderful to see her invent a game that her brother could play too.

The afternoon was slightly more difficult, as the Bee and her friend decided that they had to lock the Potato out of her room (and when I put her to bed tonight, I found a note they had written that said, "my brother is being a pest," which I was amused by, partly because I didn't know she knew how to spell 'pest' or 'brother'). But then they ended up all playing soccer in the back yard, so it was okay.

It felt like today is going to be one of the last nice days of the fall. I'm hoping that it'll stay okay through the weekend, because I have my first blog play-date on Sunday, and we made a plan to meet at a local playground. If it turns into a rainy day, I'm not sure what we'll do.

I'm kind of curious about meeting someone that I only know through her blog, especially with her kids in tow. Metrodad had a great post about blogfriends earlier this week, and I've been thinking about it a lot. Will let you know how it goes!


• Posted By landismom @ 11/11/2005 10:58:00 PM
  1. ABOUT ME
  2. My daughter is the Bumblebee. My son is the Sweet Potato. You'll have to ask their father.


  3. View My Complete Profile.
  4. Want a gmail account? Email me.


  5. I ALSO BLOG AT


  6. Bored Housewives Network


  1. IF NOT HOME, FIND ME HERE




  2. Blogroll Me!


  1. PREVIOUSLY BUZZED


  2. tap, tap, Is this thing on?
  3. what goes around...
  4. to sleep, perchance to dream
  5. is the internet making me dumber or just lazier?
  6. hey, I'm a blogosphere celebrity!
  7. quick, somebody...
  8. Yes, what is a modern grrrrlll to do?
  9. There's something living in our backyard...
  10. humor on the road
  11. reading recommendation


  1. MASHED AND SWEETENED


  1. OTHER THINGS

  2. Subscribe with Bloglines


  3. Listed on BlogShares



    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
  1. CREDITS/RESOURCES


  2. Design By:
  3. Ciao! My Bella!
  4. Comments By:
  5. Haloscan
  6. Platform By:
  7. Blogger
  8. Powered By:
  9. landismom
  10. Image From:
  11. Getty Images
  12. Protected By:
  13. Creative Commons