Monday, July 11, 2005

a little letting go


A few weeks ago, my mom called to ask if she could take the Bee away on vacation with her for five days in mid-July. Two of my brothers will be there (one of whom is very close to the Bee, the other one is her beloved uncle who she never sees), along with one sister-in-law & one cousin. Landisdad and I have been debating the concept for quite a while, and we've finally decided to let her go along.

It's a hard decision to make, because the Bee is still only five, and five days is a long time to be away from home and parents when you're five. In fact, while there have been plenty of times that one of us has been away from her, at this point, she's only ever spent one night without a parent--the night her little brother was born. My mom lives far away, though, and this is a chance for her to spend a long time with her granddaughter, which she wouldn't get otherwise.

So internet, I'm looking for advice. When was the first time you let your kids stay away from home, with a relative or otherwise? What did you do to ease the experience for both of you? What advice do you have for a mom who's about to take this major parenting step?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited for everyone, and I'm excited, too, that we will be able to lavish some extra attention on the Potato (although I know he'll miss his sister, too). But I am worried, and I guess I want some reassurance. So please, if you let your kid go away for the weekend with your mom, and he/she broke a leg or something, don't tell me that. I don't need extra stuff to worry about, I have a very active imagination. In fact, I don't know how I'll sleep the whole time she's gone.


• Posted By landismom @ 7/11/2005 01:19:00 PM
  1. ABOUT ME
  2. My daughter is the Bumblebee. My son is the Sweet Potato. You'll have to ask their father.


  3. View My Complete Profile.
  4. Want a gmail account? Email me.


  5. I ALSO BLOG AT


  6. Bored Housewives Network


  1. IF NOT HOME, FIND ME HERE




  2. Blogroll Me!


  1. PREVIOUSLY BUZZED


  2. reading recommendation #3
  3. This month’s Blogging for Books topic is to write ...
  4. a thought for Wednesday IV
  5. How about 'no'?
  6. fruit salad--childhood's perfect food?
  7. In honor of landisdad's grandmother, who passed aw...
  8. comedy for the day
  9. 30 Days & Nellie Bly
  10. snack day
  11. guess who's back? back again


  1. MASHED AND SWEETENED


  1. OTHER THINGS

  2. Subscribe with Bloglines


  3. Listed on BlogShares



    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
  1. CREDITS/RESOURCES


  2. Design By:
  3. Ciao! My Bella!
  4. Comments By:
  5. Haloscan
  6. Platform By:
  7. Blogger
  8. Powered By:
  9. landismom
  10. Image From:
  11. Getty Images
  12. Protected By:
  13. Creative Commons