Thursday, June 23, 2005

guess who's back? back again


Well, I just got back from my back-to-back business trip/Father's Day trip/business trip. And I gotta tell ya, I'm pretty happy to be home, because 7 days is a long time to be on the road, even if there's a break with kids in the middle. The culmination of my trip was that my flight home last night consisted of 75 minutes of flying, 45 minutes of circling, being forced to land at a different airport to refuel, sitting on the tarmac at that airport for 2 hours until we could get another slot, another 45 minutes of flying, another 20 minutes of circling, finally landing, and then taking 2 hours to get from the landing spot to the gate to deplane.

Now, I am one for the hyperbole on occasion, but this isn't one of them. We landed at 11 p.m. We deplaned at 1 a.m.

Then, we got to sit in the airport for an hour before our bags got unloaded. Eventually, I gave up and filed a claim and went home to bed--happily, my suitcase was delivered by the airline today, and seems intact. Unhappily, my contacts feel like they have sand in them, because I foolishly packed my glasses in my suitcase, and therefore have been wearing my contacts pretty much non-stop.

I thought about having my quote for yesterday be Sartre's "hell is other people," but I decided that was too negative. But seriously, the worst part of that whole experience wasn't the sitting on the runway, or the endless waiting (although that wasn't the best part, either). It was the sense of entitlement exuding from the pores (and loudly, from the mouths) of nearly every white guy on the plane, many of whom seemed to be highly put out that the pilot had chosen to return us home safely, rather than on time.

When I got up this morning, the kids were so happy to see me, it was totally worth the hell it took to get here. During breakfast, the Bee was being extra goofy, and we had the following interchange: "mommy, I wish I could be some food." "why's that sweetie?" "because then I would know what it's like to be in somebody's tummy!" (shows me the chewed up Cracklin' Oat Bran in her mouth). Ah, five-year-old humor. Does it get any better than that?


• Posted By landismom @ 6/23/2005 02:56:00 PM
  1. ABOUT ME
  2. My daughter is the Bumblebee. My son is the Sweet Potato. You'll have to ask their father.


  3. View My Complete Profile.
  4. Want a gmail account? Email me.


  5. I ALSO BLOG AT


  6. Bored Housewives Network


  1. IF NOT HOME, FIND ME HERE




  2. Blogroll Me!


  1. PREVIOUSLY BUZZED


  2. a thought for Wednesday (well, a little late)
  3. Happy Father's Day
  4. a thought for Wednesday
  5. field day
  6. more links per paragraph than any other post
  7. failure to blog
  8. a brief sojourn into activism
  9. not the new kid anymore
  10. sick potato
  11. bookstores and battling


  1. MASHED AND SWEETENED


  1. OTHER THINGS

  2. Subscribe with Bloglines


  3. Listed on BlogShares



    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
  1. CREDITS/RESOURCES


  2. Design By:
  3. Ciao! My Bella!
  4. Comments By:
  5. Haloscan
  6. Platform By:
  7. Blogger
  8. Powered By:
  9. landismom
  10. Image From:
  11. Getty Images
  12. Protected By:
  13. Creative Commons