Friday, July 01, 2005

fruit salad--childhood's perfect food?


Have I mentioned that I hate to cook? Well I do.

When landisdad is working late, or away, our kids eat much worse than when he's here. He does most of the cooking in our house, and since he likes to cook, he's mostly happy to do it (or if not, he can get his own blog and complain about it).

Lately, he's been working a lot of evenings, and I decided that we can't just have mac and cheese every night. My solution? Fruit salad for dinner!

My kids love any kind of fruit. And thanks to our local farmer's market, we always have fresh fruit in the summer. The Potato eats so much fruit, we sometimes call him the Fruit Bat, instead of the Potato. (Hmm, maybe we should make that his summer nickname...) The Bee is also a fruit addict--I bought a watermelon last week, and she practically inhaled it, seeds and all.

Here are some pictures of them enjoying one of their favorite street fair snacks--mango on a stick, carved like a flower.








It's pretty cool how quick the vendors can make these things--it would take me about six hours, and I'd probably lose a finger while carving it.

Last week, landisdad was away for a few days that we hadn't planned on, and I once again broke out my trusty favorite. Pizza with fruit salad. I'm happy to report that, while a ridiculous amount of grease and fat was consumed by yours truly, the kids were much more excited about the fruit than the pie.


• Posted By landismom @ 7/01/2005 06:14:00 PM
  1. ABOUT ME
  2. My daughter is the Bumblebee. My son is the Sweet Potato. You'll have to ask their father.


  3. View My Complete Profile.
  4. Want a gmail account? Email me.


  5. I ALSO BLOG AT


  6. Bored Housewives Network


  1. IF NOT HOME, FIND ME HERE




  2. Blogroll Me!


  1. PREVIOUSLY BUZZED


  2. In honor of landisdad's grandmother, who passed aw...
  3. comedy for the day
  4. 30 Days & Nellie Bly
  5. snack day
  6. guess who's back? back again
  7. a thought for Wednesday (well, a little late)
  8. Happy Father's Day
  9. a thought for Wednesday
  10. field day
  11. more links per paragraph than any other post


  1. MASHED AND SWEETENED


  1. OTHER THINGS

  2. Subscribe with Bloglines


  3. Listed on BlogShares



    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
  1. CREDITS/RESOURCES


  2. Design By:
  3. Ciao! My Bella!
  4. Comments By:
  5. Haloscan
  6. Platform By:
  7. Blogger
  8. Powered By:
  9. landismom
  10. Image From:
  11. Getty Images
  12. Protected By:
  13. Creative Commons