Friday, October 14, 2005

the bad side of genetics


For the most part, I lost out in the gene pool wars when it comes to our kids. Almost everyone agrees that physically, our kids take after landisdad & his family way more than they do me and mine. In fact, we have a picture of my MIL at 5 years old that is the spitting image of the Bee.

But there are some things that seem to have come down from my side of the family. They just aren't necessarily the things that I would have chosen to pass on, if I could have avoided it.

For example? the Bee has the worst qualities of my parents' teeth.

I really wish that hadn't happened.

My dad has perfectly straight teeth, which are predisposed to getting cavities. My mom has terribly crooked teeth, which are fairly tough. The Bee seems to have ended up with the worst of both genes. Yesterday, landisdad had to take her to the dentist, because she got a cavity filled a few weeks ago, and now has developed a huge lump in her gum. You got it. Abscess (do abscess and cesspool have a common root? because yuck!) . My poor baby! Now we have to take her for an extraction next week. She hasn't even lost a baby tooth yet, and she's already having them yanked!

In addition to that, when she got her baby teeth as a baby, two of her front lower teeth were fused together into one. So now that she's getting her adult teeth, the lower ones are all crooked. Yes, she's six years old, and I'm already saving up for braces.


• Posted By landismom @ 10/14/2005 12:38:00 PM
  1. ABOUT ME
  2. My daughter is the Bumblebee. My son is the Sweet Potato. You'll have to ask their father.


  3. View My Complete Profile.
  4. Want a gmail account? Email me.


  5. I ALSO BLOG AT


  6. Bored Housewives Network


  1. IF NOT HOME, FIND ME HERE




  2. Blogroll Me!


  1. PREVIOUSLY BUZZED


  2. off the clock?
  3. a Sunday haiku
  4. alive
  5. Done!
  6. tagged again
  7. August Wilson, Presente!
  8. a difficult moment
  9. grateful for small things
  10. scenes from a slumber party...
  11. cheating


  1. MASHED AND SWEETENED


  1. OTHER THINGS

  2. Subscribe with Bloglines


  3. Listed on BlogShares



    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
  1. CREDITS/RESOURCES


  2. Design By:
  3. Ciao! My Bella!
  4. Comments By:
  5. Haloscan
  6. Platform By:
  7. Blogger
  8. Powered By:
  9. landismom
  10. Image From:
  11. Getty Images
  12. Protected By:
  13. Creative Commons