Tuesday, November 15, 2005

caution, kvelling mama ahead


We had the Bee's parent-teacher conference today. Since I posted so much last year about our bad experiences with the kindergarten teacher, I thought I'd better update on the much more positive time she's having in first grade.

Backing up, though--on the first day of school, we found out that the first grade teacher was pregnant, and would be going out on maternity leave in October or November (come on, we've all been there, we know it's not an exact science). After the first couple of weeks, we went to back to school night, where I peppered this poor woman with questions about who the sub would be, and how various things would be handled in her absence. (I did apologize later for being crazy.)

I was really worried about what would happen with the transition. The Bee has her high maintenance moments, and I thought this might trigger one. My fears were all for naught.

In addition to the great academic report that we got from her regular teacher (which was read by the sub), the sub (who has now been there for a week and a half) talked about how the Bee always participates in class, and is always polite and helpful to the other kids. Landisdad and I sat there, unable to say anything as we beamed with pride. She showed us some of the Bee's classwork, including her journ
al, and raved about how she writes much more than is required, and uses complicated, descriptive sentences.

I present to you the thoughts of a six-year-old girl, rendered in her own words (MD, you might want to skip this part.) You'll have to imagine the kid print & illustrations.

"Look at what I'm doing in First grade! I'm ruyting (writing) in my jrnul evrey morning befor morning mesig (message)! I am a good friend. I help my friend plant a gardin. I could not swig my self. Now I can!"*

*For those who are not the parent of a kid learning to write, let me tell you that the current preferred method of teaching kids to write is to let them write free form, not to correct their spelling and grammar at every chance. I like it--it's making her love to write stories, because she's not worried about doing something wrong all the time.



• Posted By landismom @ 11/15/2005 09:25:00 PM
  1. ABOUT ME
  2. My daughter is the Bumblebee. My son is the Sweet Potato. You'll have to ask their father.


  3. View My Complete Profile.
  4. Want a gmail account? Email me.


  5. I ALSO BLOG AT


  6. Bored Housewives Network


  1. IF NOT HOME, FIND ME HERE




  2. Blogroll Me!


  1. PREVIOUSLY BUZZED


  2. blogdate
  3. fall holiday
  4. tap, tap, Is this thing on?
  5. what goes around...
  6. to sleep, perchance to dream
  7. is the internet making me dumber or just lazier?
  8. hey, I'm a blogosphere celebrity!
  9. quick, somebody...
  10. Yes, what is a modern grrrrlll to do?
  11. There's something living in our backyard...


  1. MASHED AND SWEETENED


  1. OTHER THINGS

  2. Subscribe with Bloglines


  3. Listed on BlogShares



    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
  1. CREDITS/RESOURCES


  2. Design By:
  3. Ciao! My Bella!
  4. Comments By:
  5. Haloscan
  6. Platform By:
  7. Blogger
  8. Powered By:
  9. landismom
  10. Image From:
  11. Getty Images
  12. Protected By:
  13. Creative Commons