Friday, December 09, 2005

coming up for air


We had a snow day today. I blogged an amusing (to me, anyway) anecdote about it here. You can also see the photo that we're using as our Christmas card picture there too.

I'm feeling utterly unprepared for the holidays this year. I've gotten a bunch of online shopping done, but I have barely even had time to look at the calendar, to figure out when I can take some time off. Happily, next week slows down, and the week after that is slower still, and then of course work life will totally shut down the week after Christmas, so there should be some time to relax and enjoy the kids.

A few days ago, I had the following conversation with the Bee:

Bee: "(girl in her class) says she doesn't believe in Santa Claus. She says it's just her dad who buys the presents. I told her that was crazy, because there's no way that her dad can go out that late on Christmas Eve and buy all those presents. The stores aren't open that late!"

LM: "Oh, really?"

Bee: "Yeah, she doesn't know what she's talking about." (looks at me hopefully)

Yesterday, landisdad reported a similar conversation (only this time it was a boy in her class who didn't believe in Santa).

I can see her trying desperately to hold on to her belief for one more year. I don't remember how old I was when I stopped believing in Santa, but it must have been around this age. We've never particularly encouraged this belief, but we've never really discouraged it, either. I wonder sometimes what things I believe in, just because I still want to.


• Posted By landismom @ 12/09/2005 09:21:00 PM
  1. ABOUT ME
  2. My daughter is the Bumblebee. My son is the Sweet Potato. You'll have to ask their father.


  3. View My Complete Profile.
  4. Want a gmail account? Email me.


  5. I ALSO BLOG AT


  6. Bored Housewives Network


  1. IF NOT HOME, FIND ME HERE




  2. Blogroll Me!


  1. PREVIOUSLY BUZZED


  2. all apology
  3. not your touchy-feely mother
  4. Blog Against Racism Day
  5. kid book recommendation
  6. Tagged with a Thanksgiving meme
  7. blogging cross-promotion
  8. Reason #2047 that I love my husband
  9. social promotion
  10. the power of rule-making
  11. ...and a Potato progress report, too


  1. MASHED AND SWEETENED


  1. OTHER THINGS

  2. Subscribe with Bloglines


  3. Listed on BlogShares



    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
  1. CREDITS/RESOURCES


  2. Design By:
  3. Ciao! My Bella!
  4. Comments By:
  5. Haloscan
  6. Platform By:
  7. Blogger
  8. Powered By:
  9. landismom
  10. Image From:
  11. Getty Images
  12. Protected By:
  13. Creative Commons