Sunday, November 20, 2005

social promotion


I'm predicting this will be a slow blogging week, given the Thanksgiving holiday and the fact that my MIL is coming to town for a few days. But I wanted to take a minute to give some props to Grace from I Am Dr. Laura's Worst Nightmare, for her work on the Katrina relief blog, Family to Family. The F2F blog provides info on families to folks who are looking to give direct material contributions for those affected by Katrina. The families are identified anonymously (for example--A Single Mom in Bay St. Louis), and there are very specific items requested, including sizes of clothing, particular appliances, etc. There are also links to online retailers and shippers, and addresses for churches or shelters to send the goods to.

I know that I'm going to spend a lot of this week overeating, and then will probably start my (mostly online) holiday shopping after that. I'm planning to include one of these families in my Christmas shopping this year. It's been a hard year for planet Earth, between the tsunami, the war in Iraq, the hurricanes and earthquakes.
At this time of year, it's easy to succumb to compassion fatigue, and turn inward. In our family, there's a lot to be thankful for. I don't want to forget that.


• Posted By landismom @ 11/20/2005 08:46:00 PM
  1. ABOUT ME
  2. My daughter is the Bumblebee. My son is the Sweet Potato. You'll have to ask their father.


  3. View My Complete Profile.
  4. Want a gmail account? Email me.


  5. I ALSO BLOG AT


  6. Bored Housewives Network


  1. IF NOT HOME, FIND ME HERE




  2. Blogroll Me!


  1. PREVIOUSLY BUZZED


  2. the power of rule-making
  3. ...and a Potato progress report, too
  4. caution, kvelling mama ahead
  5. blogdate
  6. fall holiday
  7. tap, tap, Is this thing on?
  8. what goes around...
  9. to sleep, perchance to dream
  10. is the internet making me dumber or just lazier?
  11. hey, I'm a blogosphere celebrity!


  1. MASHED AND SWEETENED


  1. OTHER THINGS

  2. Subscribe with Bloglines


  3. Listed on BlogShares



    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
  1. CREDITS/RESOURCES


  2. Design By:
  3. Ciao! My Bella!
  4. Comments By:
  5. Haloscan
  6. Platform By:
  7. Blogger
  8. Powered By:
  9. landismom
  10. Image From:
  11. Getty Images
  12. Protected By:
  13. Creative Commons