Friday, December 16, 2005

Christmas Compromises


I was reading this post over at the Bored Housewives Network, and I started to respond in comments, but it got kinda long, so I'm posting here instead.

I'm married to a mostly secular Jew (albeit one who celebrates Christmas), so I do have some sense of how you feel. My dh is not overly anti-Christmas, but I think he keeps a certain distance from it. One of the things I've learned over time is that there are things that he will do just to keep me happy (like getting and decorating a tree), and things that I won't ask him to do to keep him happy (like watching Christmas movies all day, which he would absolutely not be down for).

I think
it helps that I help him celebrate not just Hanukkah (an only-mildly-important Jewish holiday), but also Passover, Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah (the big three). And that, even though I'm celebrating Christmas, I'm not a religious person at all (or a Christian). For both of us, the celebration of these holidays is really more about a celebration of our culture, than it is about faith (and yes, mine is the culture of commercialization while his is the culture of fasting).

Like any marriage or long-term partnership, it's all about the compromises.


• Posted By landismom @ 12/16/2005 11:03:00 AM
  1. ABOUT ME
  2. My daughter is the Bumblebee. My son is the Sweet Potato. You'll have to ask their father.


  3. View My Complete Profile.
  4. Want a gmail account? Email me.


  5. I ALSO BLOG AT


  6. Bored Housewives Network


  1. IF NOT HOME, FIND ME HERE




  2. Blogroll Me!


  1. PREVIOUSLY BUZZED


  2. we're all complicit in the patriarchy
  3. seven redux
  4. "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or...
  5. coming up for air
  6. all apology
  7. not your touchy-feely mother
  8. Blog Against Racism Day
  9. kid book recommendation
  10. Tagged with a Thanksgiving meme
  11. blogging cross-promotion


  1. MASHED AND SWEETENED


  1. OTHER THINGS

  2. Subscribe with Bloglines


  3. Listed on BlogShares



    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
  1. CREDITS/RESOURCES


  2. Design By:
  3. Ciao! My Bella!
  4. Comments By:
  5. Haloscan
  6. Platform By:
  7. Blogger
  8. Powered By:
  9. landismom
  10. Image From:
  11. Getty Images
  12. Protected By:
  13. Creative Commons