Thursday, December 29, 2005

but will she end up working in the Dead Letter office?


Yesterday, in an act of missed synchronicity, I read this blog post by Andi Buchanan at Mother Shock almost 12 hours after I actually needed to. I guess there's something going around in the houses of school-aged children--something that causes said children to act like the victims of demonic possession a la The Exorcist. I'm not sure if it's post-Christmas let-down, the boredom of being off from school, and not having friends to fight with, or what. But that thing--whatever it is--can just take its ass out of my house, 'nawhatImean?

The Bee has always had issues with her little brother. She was an only child for four years, and she got pretty used to it. By the time the Potato came along, she was extremely set in her ways, and the idea that she might have to share her parents with another person has always struck her as wrong.

But this week, we've been treated to such sayings as, "I can't wait until I can move out of this house, so I don't have to live with you people any more!" (you people being later clarified to mean her brother). Also, "if he touches my stuff again, I'm going to punch him in the eye!"

It's draining, to have to constantly be mediating between them. On the other hand, I have vivid memories of chasing my own brother around the house with a baseball bat, at some point when my parents weren't home and I was 'in charge,' so I guess I should count my blessings that she hasn't thought that one up yet.

There was a point, when I was sunk in the naive state of preparing to have my second child, that I thought, "well, they'll always have each other." Little did I realize that the Bee, like Bartleby the Scrivener, would simply "prefer not to."


• Posted By landismom @ 12/29/2005 12:46:00 PM
  1. ABOUT ME
  2. My daughter is the Bumblebee. My son is the Sweet Potato. You'll have to ask their father.


  3. View My Complete Profile.
  4. Want a gmail account? Email me.


  5. I ALSO BLOG AT


  6. Bored Housewives Network


  1. IF NOT HOME, FIND ME HERE




  2. Blogroll Me!


  1. PREVIOUSLY BUZZED


  2. just got back...
  3. Have a great weekend
  4. illegal is not immoral
  5. another kid book recommendation
  6. weird kids
  7. Christmas Compromises
  8. we're all complicit in the patriarchy
  9. seven redux
  10. "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or...
  11. coming up for air


  1. MASHED AND SWEETENED


  1. OTHER THINGS

  2. Subscribe with Bloglines


  3. Listed on BlogShares



    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
  1. CREDITS/RESOURCES


  2. Design By:
  3. Ciao! My Bella!
  4. Comments By:
  5. Haloscan
  6. Platform By:
  7. Blogger
  8. Powered By:
  9. landismom
  10. Image From:
  11. Getty Images
  12. Protected By:
  13. Creative Commons