Saturday, December 31, 2005

Happy New Year!



We're not big celebrators of New Year's Eve here in BBSP land. Today, the Bee has a playdate with a friend from school, which left the Potato temporarily bereft until he was tempted with a round of gorilla-butterfly. (One of the best games that landisdad invented to play with the kids is gorilla, where they put gloves on their feet, wear hats, and dance around the family room to obscure late 70s punk tunes. [On actual records!] Sometimes, instead of gorillas, they play butterfly, which involves everyone except LD wearing one of our many pairs of fairy wings. Today, it's a mashup.)

Later, one of the adults will probably run to the store to buy champagne, and if we're lucky, we'll manage to stay up until midnight to drink it. Generally, we have some kind of video marathon, which may involve either The War of the Worlds or the box set of The Office this year.

I'm more one to make life-changing resolutions around my birthday, rather than at New Year's. There's something about mid-winter that deters me from self-improvement. I feel like hunkering down with a big slab of chocolate and several gallons of wine for several months, rather than abstaining in favor of a new, improved me. (Of course, my penchant for the status quo does not extend to my spouse or children. If only the Bee would resolve to keep her room cleaner, and the Potato would refrain from hitting his sister!)

Thanks everyone for your many comments about the sibling rivalry situation. LD and I were very comforted to read that so many other people are going through the same thing. I told LD that the thing I like most about the parenting blogosphere is the support that one finds there. It's not the advice (although that's good too), it's the knowledge that our experience is universal that helps make it more bearable somehow.

Have a wonderful New Year, and I'll 'see' you in 2006!



• Posted By landismom @ 12/31/2005 12:44:00 PM
  1. ABOUT ME
  2. My daughter is the Bumblebee. My son is the Sweet Potato. You'll have to ask their father.


  3. View My Complete Profile.
  4. Want a gmail account? Email me.


  5. I ALSO BLOG AT


  6. Bored Housewives Network


  1. IF NOT HOME, FIND ME HERE




  2. Blogroll Me!


  1. PREVIOUSLY BUZZED


  2. but will she end up working in the Dead Letter off...
  3. just got back...
  4. Have a great weekend
  5. illegal is not immoral
  6. another kid book recommendation
  7. weird kids
  8. Christmas Compromises
  9. we're all complicit in the patriarchy
  10. seven redux
  11. "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or...


  1. MASHED AND SWEETENED


  1. OTHER THINGS

  2. Subscribe with Bloglines


  3. Listed on BlogShares



    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
  1. CREDITS/RESOURCES


  2. Design By:
  3. Ciao! My Bella!
  4. Comments By:
  5. Haloscan
  6. Platform By:
  7. Blogger
  8. Powered By:
  9. landismom
  10. Image From:
  11. Getty Images
  12. Protected By:
  13. Creative Commons